Sunday, June 12, 2011

New favourite monument


Despite having walked past it at least twice a day on my way to Uni, I hadn't
actually been inside the Pantheon until this week. It is breathtaking inside! I'm
not sure how it's even possible, but it looks even bigger from the inside than
from the outside, and has incredible paintings covering the walls inside. The cyrpt
is also really interesting to explore.
The main attraction for me was Foucault's Pendulum which was put inside the
Pantheon in 1851. It is the only structure in Paris large enough to contain it; a 67
meter long wire with a 28kg lead weight on the end.
Without getting too sciency and pretending I fully understand, the pendulum
measures the rotation of the earth, as the wire and weight are fixed in space
while the earth turns. The scale underneath the weight therefore demonstrations
the rotation of the planet. Cool, right?



No comments:

Post a Comment