Thursday, May 12, 2011

This is what a Sufjan Stevens concert looks like:


 








Surprised? I was too. But in a good way. Here was I hoping he would somehow ignore his
new album, "Age of Adz", and just play beautiful folk music. Not only was I very wrong, but

I was also eating my words as I was blown away by the brilliance of his entire performance.
For those of you who know Sufjan's music, you will know that his latest album is a total
change from what he has done in the past. I can’t even say that what I saw on Monday

night was a "concert "as such, it was more like a spectacle. There were awesome back up
dancers, noon tape on everything, incredible winged costumes, head pieces, Casio tone

mini keyboards, breathtaking videos and awesome intervals which contained Sufjan's weird
little stories. The last song from the album, "Impossible Soul" was a 25 min marathon of fun
that had everyone in L’Olympia singing along, and the finale "Chicago" was out of this
world. Balloons fell from the ceiling, the band went nuts and everyone was loving it. I felt
so caught up in the Sufjan moment i could have cried ! While a few people were bound to
be disappointed by the change he made, I found it impossible to leave without being
amazed by his talent on so many levels. The best show I have ever seen, without doubt.
Shame the photos turned out so crap.


No comments:

Post a Comment