Sunday, July 17, 2011

A weekend away

This weekend we went down to Dalgety for Christmas in July. Dalgety is in the
middle of nowhere in the Australia High Country, and it is a place that we
absolutely love.  
Two weeks ago we touched down in Australia, which felt weirdly foreign yet
comfortingly familiar. The people were friendly, but sounded a lot more bogan
than I remembered. The stars were bright and beautiful in the sky, but the sun
light hurt my eyes and the wide open spaces made me miss the comfort of a
narrow cobble stone street. The weather looked warm... but felt quite cold, and
the air smells different. The most comforting thing was going back to places the
most familiar to us; our parents houses, our grandparents houses, the places
where we have spent hours and hours feeling loved by family. As soon as I rolled
home from my parents on the first night we were home, and collapsed into bed
in a jetlagged daze at 730pm, everything felt normal again.
The best thing about being at home is being close to family and friends.
To me, there is nothing more important than this.
The worst thing about being home? I guess I'm not really a "worst thing" kind of
person... But I think being so far away from Paris as a city is tough. The whole
Paris experience is unforgettable, being that close to and involved with so many
different areas of life that don’t present themselves as readily in a beachside
suburb. But then that's the other best thing about being home... Being next to
the ocean! 
Luke shares my love of Australian magazine frankie

father daughter time



Lewis- how i missed him!
People keep asking us, "so are you here to stay?" with an awkward tone in
 their voice, expecting us to say "oh no, we are just stopping in, on our way 
somewhere different now." It is with a lot of joy in my heart that I can say 
now that we are home, we won't be going anyway far for too long.

1 comment: