Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Well, this is the end.

It's been a long time between posts, I know, but I wanted to wait until the 1st of September to
wrap things up. On this day one year ago, we were walking up our uneven old steps, down the
corridor with paint flaking off the walls, and opening the door to our new teeny apartment and
our new life in Paris. To celebrate our one year anniversary, and close the Paris chapter (at least
for now) I thought I'd share my favourite things to do in Paris so that you can do them too should
you find yourself there.
 
1. Picnic by the Seine.
The problem with Paris for tourists, is that the city is so big and filled with attractions, that people
often spend their 3-4 days in Paris running around lining up to climb things or look at things, and
completely miss the point of being in Paris. Spending a lazy afternoon by the river is the best way
to really take in being in Paris. My favourite spot is on Ile St Louis, behind the Notre Dame.
 
2. The Pantheon.
This monument often gets left off the whirlwind tour of the city, but I think it's one of the most
stunning that the city has to offer. The pendulum is incredible, as is the crypt beneath the
building.
 
3. L’Ecurie restaurant.
This teeny little restaurant just near the pantheon has been around for hundreds of years... I
spent some of my most memorable evenings at this little restaurant, with rustic French food;
cheap menu options (17euros for 3 courses, order the bavette!) and the best aioli I have ever
eaten (worth the week of garlic breath afterwards.) try to eat downstairs in the cave if you can.
No windows make for a romantic candle lit dinner.
 
4. Sunday afternoon in the Marais.
This is where all the hipsters head on a Sunday, for the best vintage shops and falafel the city can
offer. It's a beautiful area to stroll around and have a drink in one of the famous cafes (les
philosophes is my favorite) and pick out the tourists from the bobo's.

5. Bike ride.
Go anywhere. Go everywhere! Just do it on a bike.

6. Lay in a park somewhere.
Just becareful to do it on the right patch of grass at the right time...French gardeners can be
vicious. Look out for signs to keep off the grass. Some of my favourites are the Luxembourg
Gardens, Parc Montesouris and Jardin des Plantes.

7. Laduree.
This one needs no justification. Go to one of the stores, and by macaroons. Buy buy buy! My
personal picks are chocolate and raspberry, while Luke favours the green apple. I force fed any
visitor we had with these little delights. I've tried a few since being home, and I hate to admit
that none have even come close.

8. Eggs & co.
Amazing egg themed cafe in the lovely St Germaine des pres area. The menu is filled with
delicious egg combinations, and the decor is too cute. Try to sit upstairs in the chicken coop.

9. Le grande epicerie.
Across the road from Le Bon Marché (which was always too expensive for me to even set foot in)
the grand epicure is a giant gourmet supermarket with everything you could hope to purchase
from dolmades to cheeses to sugar cubes in the shape of cute little love hearts. Defiantly worth a
stroll.

10. Sip mint tea at the mosque.
The mosque in Paris is a beautiful place to spend an afternoon on the open terrace. Mint tea is
delicious for only 2euros, and the sweet treats for the same price as equally amazing. I have
many fond memories sitting with sweet ladies sipping sweet tea in this place.

Thanks for a great year, Paris. Until the next adventure...

2 comments:

  1. 2, 7 and 10 are already on my list - the others have now been added! thanks for sharing your year with me Cait xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Between your experiences, this list and Ali's recommendation that I'd love it.. I SO want to go to Paris (on the way back to Italy)!

    ReplyDelete